[IDV #MRV-291694]: trouble with netCDF file

Hi Dave-

> Unidata IDV Support wrote:
> > Hi Dave-
> > I would think the first warning would indicate that this doesn't have the CF
> > Conventions attribute.
> >
> > In any case, this is not what I would call a "self describing" format.
> > There
> > is no documented standard (except in some C code according to the web page).
> >
> > One could write a convention handler for this, but I'm not sure if it's
> > worth
> > the effort.
> >
> > A better effort would be to get the NWS to write out CF compliant netCDF
> > files. ;-)
> >
> I sent a note to the NWS data provider, this is what I got back:
> "Looking ahead, we hope to drop the current netCDF format and replace it
> with either netCDF-CF, netCDF-HDF5, GRIB1 or GRIB2.  I can't tell you
> which one will win out but hopefully we will be able to offer more user
> friendly, open-GIS format data files in the future."

Well, that's good news, except that HDF5, GRIB1 and GRIB2 are not
OpenGIS standards that I know of.  Since the output is simple, HDF5
is overkill.  Hopefully they will stick to netCDF-CF.

> > In this instance, I would use NcML.  You can enhance the file to include
> > the appropriate information.
> I've looked at the few CF example files:
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/examples/files.html
>
> the documentation:
> http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.4/apf.html
>
> and the tutorial:
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/ncml/v2.2/Tutorial.html
>
> and I'm not having much luck creating a usable NcML file. Any tips on
> better sources of info or someone to contact?

Send a note to address@hidden with a pointer
to your sample file and ask how you would use NcML to do this.
John Caron is out this week, so you won't hear anything until next
week.

Don

Ticket ID: MRV-291694
Department: Support IDV