[IDV #YPS-516668]: Export to Excel file

Hi,
Sorry for the delay in the response.

> Description of problem: loading data
> visad.Real cannot be cast to ucar.unidata.data.point.PointOb
>

> I was trying to export a dataset to Excel, particularly values at the grid
> points, but received an error message:
> visad.Real cannot be cast to ucar.unidata.data.point.PointOb
>
> The output Excel file is empty.
> Attached is the original dataset (downloaded from unavco:
> http://geon.unavco.org/unavco/IDV_data_online_old.html).
>
> I appreciate any help you can give - my overall goal is to read this file and
> export it into something
> other programs can read (e.g. an ascii csv file).

It looks as you had loaded the file in as point data and were trying to export
using the Observation List display. If so then that won't work as this is
gridded data.

THere is good news and bad news. First the good news.
We have a formula: under Formulas in the Field Selector ->Export-> Export grid
to excel
If you right click on that you can Evaluate the formula. It will prompt you for
a xls file name
and then a field to write. This can suck up alot of memory though.

The bad news is that in the released version of the IDV this does not work with
the grid you sent
in because it has no times in it. I have just fixed this problem and this will
be available in
the nightly build area for download:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/idv/nightly/index.jsp

-Jeff