[IDV #MQM-696970]: visad error propagation facility

Hi Tyn-

> Can you indicate how and _if_ I can make use of the visad's error
> propagation model using the IDV. See example Tom put up at
> http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~tomw/visadtutor/visaddata.html

The IDV does not support error propagation at this point.  Most
methods pass Data.NO_ERROR for the error type.

> Also, I'm not quite sure how to use it. I would like to use errors I
> have in my land surface temperature (retrieved from MODIS), and let
> these propagate through my crop growth simulation model's heat balance,
> which I added to IDV.

If you were doing all your VisAD data manipulation in Jython, you
could add in the ErrorEstimate with setRangeErrors on the temperature
field.  Then, for all your computations, you'd need to do something
like what is outlined in Tom's tutorial.

> This support item from the archive touches a bit on the topic:
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/visad/2002/msg00170.html

I really don't know much about the ErrorEstimate stuff.  It might be
better to ask the VisAD list if you have specific questions.

Don

Ticket ID: MQM-696970
Department: Support IDV