[IDV #LPU-320092]: kmz graphical problems

Hi

> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.6u2\jre version: 1.6.0_11
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: Hi, I'm having a lot of trouble getting kmz movies to
> display properly in Google Earth.  They seem to show multiple frames
> simultaneously and display wierd graphical artifacts.  I've noticed too that
> the animations appear to display fairly poor quality bitmat

Could you send in the kmz file you are trying to display. You can upload it
here:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu/repository/entry/upload?group=e850985a-8a2c-44e3-8a05-e547cfb963a1

images, it would be ideal if it could display nicer vector rendors, though I'm
not sure if kmz supports vector drawing.  Currently, I'm interested in getting
nice kmz animations because of the difficulty adding shapefile layers to IDV
for positional referencing, IDV doesn't handle shapefiles very well and becomes
quite unstable.

We've thought about doing vector graphics to kmz. However, kmz doesn't support
that very well - you end up with absolutely huge kmz files.

As to the shapefiles- we're going to look at adding support for non lat/lon
projection shapefiles this summer. Can you send us some examples of the
shapefiles you are using?

Also - what do you mean by the IDV "becomes quite unstable"? Can you send in an
example of this? Or do you mean the display of the non-lat/lon shapefiles ends
up being pretty crazy looking?

Thanks,
Jeff

Ticket ID: LPU-320092