[IDV #BDW-276057]: How to make dynamic *.xidv file

> Question 1: Which directory is for $islpath on Windows?

Sorry. I thought that was documented in the userguide. We do describe it in the
workshop:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/workshop/isl/Basic.html

The islpath is not a specific directory. Rather, it is the directory where the
isl file resides.

> Question 2: Where is Test.java (edu/ucar/app/Test.java) which was
> mentioned with workshop/user guide?
The workshop uses the package  ucar/unidata/apps/example
Do the docs refer to that above file? If so that is wrong. Can you send  a link
to the page?

> Question 3: How to assign a existing or custom action/command to the
> menu (added by custom plugin)?
>
> Question 4: How to interact with the menu and a Java class? How to
> invoke the method in Java from menu (added by custom plugin)?

Sorry, we need to document this better. The idea with plugins is that we look
at the file name and match it with patterns associated with various resources.
Run the IDV and under the Tools menu is a Resoure Viewer. At the bottom of that
window there is a button "List Resources". This shows all of the  resources
that can be loaded and that are loaded and the patterns we look for.

Any file that ends with "defaultmenu.xml"  or "menubar.xml" is added to the
menu bar.
As an example of this look at the file ucar/unidata/apps/simple/defaultmenu.xml
Or you an look at the default one:
ucar/unidata/idv/resources/defaultmenu.xml

See here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/workshop/dev/ui/ExampleMenubar.html
For an example of how we call into Java from the menus.

> Question 5: Why Field Selector was popped up instead of Data Source
> selector when Views & Displays were saved (but not Data Sources) on
> saving IDV bundle (xidv)?

You an save a display or displays without data. When you load them back in each
display will show the data chooser to select the data. I forgot that that is
one way to save a bundle and allow the user to dynamically choose the data. A
caveat though - you can run into problems if you choose some other type of
field, e.g., the display was originally of temperature and then the user
chooses pressure.

> Question 6: Only solution for the case (from Question 5) is using ISL
> with setfiles tags. is it correct?

No. Saving a bundle without data should work. The setfiles allows you to change
the actual data source. In that case the new data source should have the same
parameters (e.g., temp) as the original data source

-Jeff

Ticket ID: BDW-276057
Department: Support IDV