[IDV #DIV-228391]: Grid paramter for interpolated weather data visualization

Hi-

> Full Name: Mobushir Riaz Khan
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 2.7b2 build date:2009-06-04 07:07 UTC
> Operating System: Linux
> Hardware: Java: home: /usr/local/lib/jvm/jdk1.6.0_14/jre version: 1.6.0_14-ea
> j3d:1.5.3-build2-experimental 13 Aug 2008 16:42:15 PDT
> Description of problem:
>
> Dear Sir,
>
> I want to do an objective analysis for visualization and analysis of
> weather data. I am trying to do an objective analysis on gridded fields
> for example, Minimum temperature. since the data is already
> interpolated and i want to visualize the data without using default of
> grid parameters with spacing in degrees. The data has been interpolated
> on 5 km X 5 km grid. can you give me any idea about what is ideal grid
> size X and Y (is it 0.02) and ideal number of Passes, Search radius and
> gains.

Usually, letting the IDV calculate the default spacing provides the
best scale, but I have not worked with a small domain like that.
You could use the number of grid points and set it to 5x5 which
should calculate the appropriate spacing over the region.  In
the literature, using 3 passes and a gain of .3 will give a finer
interpolation of the data.  The search radius is in grid units, so
you could leave the default.

In any case, changing any of these parameters will give a different
result and the use will have to determine what values provide the
type of analysis they are seeking.  I would suggest plotting the
raw data on top and getting a visual comparison to see the effect
of changing any of the parameters.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: DIV-228391
Department: Support IDV