[IDV #MWA-363139]: Layout Model Editor

Hi Donna-

You can display your altimeter settings in  inches in IDV using a station model
that uses the formula capabilities.  Add in a value glyph that has the
parameter:

=ALTIMETER * 0.02961

and a format of:

##.00

This uses the conversion of millibars to inches Hg at 60 degrees F that we found
on the web.  You could adjust it as needed.

Since there is no way to do the units analysis to convert from a pressure
(force/area) to a length, you can't just change the units to inches when
the pressure is in millibar.

Don

> > OK, things are looking much better.  I do not know how this happened as I
> > thought I had gotten the present weather symbol by just clicking select
> > Present Weather.  It is helpful to know how to use the edit > Symbol.
>
> Glad this is working.
>
> > I have one beef.  The altimeter setting plots in millibars.  I set it to
> > default units since there is no inches of mercury unit.  The default unit
> > for altimeter setting should be inches of mercury - at least in the US.  I
> > think you should at least give inches of mercury as an option since that is
> > what is used in the US.
>
> It's a function of the way the data is decoded.  For the ADDE data, the
> value is converted to millibars when decoded, so that's how it gets
> stored/displayed.  Since you can't physically convert units of millibars
> to inches of mercury we don't list that as an option.  There is an
> empirical conversion, but you cannot do unit math to make the physical
> conversion.  When we get the GEMPAK surface data reading done, you can use
> ALTI as a parameter and display it in inches (but not in millibars).
>
> Don Murray

Ticket ID: MWA-363139
Department: Support IDV