[IDV #YMI-196568]: Relative path in xidv file

Hi David,

> I was wondering if you can help me put a relative path in my XIDV file?
> I have an NCML file which collects data in a particular way from a TDS
> server - eventually I would like to put it on the server, but for
> testing it would be helpful to have the plugin install with the NCML
> file and have the XIDV session file grab that local NCML in the plugin
> jar file. Using the relative path inside the jar does not work
> /ucar/unidata/apps/asa_nmfs/TDS_AGG.ncml ? I can seem to get idv to find
> a file by relative path though - are the IDVHOME env variables available
> in and xidv file?

The problem is that the java/netcdf code that we use is the one that opens up
the ncml file. It would not pick it up from the plugin jar. If the IDV was the
one to do this then we look at the plugin jars when opening any resource path.

This might not help but...
If your NCML file is applicable to a number of data files (i.e., you're not
adding, oh, say a time field to a particular file) then one way to do this is
to include a ncml file template and a specification of this new data source
type.  Then when your user selects a file or opendap link in a catalog they can
specify that that file or link is of a certain type. The IDV will automatically
instantiate the ncml file from the template in the plugin. See attached for an
example. It contains a template ncml file and a data source definition xml file.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: YMI-196568
Department: Support IDV