[IDV #SYQ-598598]: IDV 2.7b2: GFS analyses and forecasts: faulty times

Hi Dave-

> I'm running IDV v2.7b3 (the most recent nightly revision) on a MacBook
> Pro laptop under Mac OS X v.10.5.7.
>
> I've been making plots of analyzed and forecast fields in the 2.5
> degree GFS model runs accessed via motherlode. I just noticed that
> using the latest available GFS run (which happens to be 12Z June 22,
> 2009), the plot times displayed under "Times" in the Dashboard and
> everywhere else I've looked (e.g., display labels; Data Sources >
> Properties > Times), are off by 8 days (too far ahead, so the analysis
> is labeled or listed as 12Z June 30 instead of 12Z June 22).

The GFS 2.5 global grid is the extended run and goes from days 8 to 16.
They switch to a lower resolution for the extended forecast hours.
I've attached a bundle that shows a loop with both the 80km GFS and 2.5 global
GFS.  Notice the continuity of the fields switching from the short term to the
long term run.

> I tried several other GFS model runs (including the most recent run
> [June 22], the oldest available run [on May 8], and several chosen
> randomly in between). I tried several different fields (geopotential
> height, wind vectors). I tried quitting and restarting the IDV. Same
> results.
>
> The same problem appeared in IDV v2.7b2.
>
> The problem does not show up using NAM forecast files.
>
> Having a GFS global analysis available for 8 days in the future could
> make me rich, but somehow I think there's a catch. A problem reading
> the GFS GRIB2 files?

Time to get rich! ;-)

> I've attached a bundle to try to illustrate the problem--see if it
> shows up on your machines.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: SYQ-598598
Department: Support IDV