[IDV #AMF-748098]: Re: IDV 2.7 and WRF Files

Cindy/Bill-

> Thanks for the input. As I am not all that familiar with IDV, I ave cc-ed
> the IDV group on this.

A bug was introduced in IDV 2.7 that keeps this from working.  I just sent a
note out to the idvusers list about that and a fix.  From that message:

For now, we have a fix in the form of a plugin that will allow this to work
again.  To apply the fix:

- Start the IDV
- Open the Plugin Manager (Tools->Plugin Manager menu)
- Expand the Bug Fixes category.  Install the "WRF ARW fix for IDV 2.7" plugin
by clicking the + icon.
- Close the Plugin Manager and restart the IDV
- Try loading in your WRF data again.

Caveats on the plugin:

- it will look for files named wrfout_d01_.* in the I'm Feeling Lucky
mode of the data choosers.
- if your files are named something different, set the Data Source Type
to be "WRF ARW netCDF files"

> Please also check with them about the met_em data - I think this is
> already possible.

What are the met_em files? (forgive my ignorance).

If you have a sample met_em file, please upload it to:

an we can take a look.  I'll have to learn more about these.

> If you have any script to convert any of our data to CF compliant so
> it works better for IDV and other packages, yes please we will be
> interested.
>
> Cindy
>
> On Jun 29, 2009, at 4:44 PM, Capehart, William J wrote:
>
> > Hi All
> >
> > I am having some issues with getting the new release of IDV 2.7 to
> > read WRF files.  Even when I eschew the “Lucky” setting when
> > importing files in favor of the explicit request for a netcdf grid
> > file, I get an error saying that I cannot read it.
> >
> > Are others getting this problem?  I am seeing this on both my Mac
> > and Linux machines.
> >
> > On a related note, Cindy asked at the meeting for issues with IDV or
> > other visualization & post processing issues.  It would be nice to
> > get the met_em files to also view in IDV.  I have some experience in
> > the area of writing files that are compliant with IDV (at least
> > pre-2.7 IDV) and the Climate-and-Forecasting Metadata Standard,
> > including 2-m and 10-m temp/hum/wind fields that sit on top of the
> > terrain rather than on the zero-meters-above-sea-level slab.  If I
> > find a combination of attributes (and one of two low volume extra
> > data fields)  that works for met_em and still works with real.exe,
> > would you like them for WRF “3.2”?
> >
> > Cheers and Thanks
> > Bill

Ticket ID: AMF-748098