[IDV #NAO-265044]: memory for Java Web Starts

Hi Eric-

> I had asked and received kind direction a few years ago, but I don't see that
> it is documented. For example, pertaining to the FAQ regarding "...memory
> available to the IDV", I suggest adding something like:
>
> ---
> If you would like to run IDV via Java Web Start with a modified memory
> alloaction, simply right click on the " Click here to launch the IDV " link
> and save (e.g., idv.jnlp) to a convenient location. Then, open this file with
> an editor (e.g., WordPad) and modify the line "<j2se version="1.5+"
> max-heap-size="512m" />" to reflect your memory need. After saving, you need
> only to launch this .jnlp file to run IDV via Java Web Start with the
> modified memory allocation.
> ---

This is a great suggestion.  I'll add it to the FAQ.

> It does appear that this methodology would result in the latest version of
> IDV always being launched, although it looks like the labeling would remain
> static at whatever is specified by the "<title>..." line of idv.jnlp.

You could always edit the description to remove the version number.

> I also note two downloads for Windows: 32- and 64-bit. I assume Java Web
> Start defaults to 64-bit Windows, if available. In others words, running IDV
> via Java Web Start and 2 GB allocated RAM as described above in a 64-bit OS
> should result in identical performance as IDV run in the same OS via the
> downloaded 64-bit installer. Is this true?

The version on the installers refers to the version of Java bundled with the
installer.  The code is the same.  So, if the Java you are running on your
system is the 64-bit version, that's what gets used.  I'm not sure what gets
installed by default in 64-bit Vista or XP.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: NAO-265044
Department: Support IDV