[IDV #UGQ-180978]: Problem starting up IDV 2.7u1 on Mac OS X

Hi Chris-

> This turned out to be more complicated than anticipated, and I still
> have only a hacked solution.  Here is what I did:
>
> (1) Installed the recommended update and restarted:  no luck
> (2) Tried aliasing java to the binary java in the Java 6 directory,
> verified version with java -version and restarted: no luck
> (3) Found the Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences utility and
> moved Java SE 6 64-bit to the top of the stack, and restarted: no luck
> (4) Began hacking runIDV:
> (a) added java alias from #2 above and ran: no luck
> (b) discovered that JAVA_HOME was searched first, so I added
> JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Home
>
> Success!  Sort of...
>
> ...because I still cannot run IDV.app, even after setting JAVA_HOME in
> my .bash_profile:
>
> macwork:~> env | grep JAVA_HOME
> JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Home
> macwork:~> java -version
> java version "1.6.0_13"
> Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_13-b03-211)
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.3-b02-83, mixed mode)
>
> It seems to be usable now, so long as I remember to run it from the
> command-line, so maybe there's no rush to diagnose the issue, but I
> may not be the only one that runs into this...

In the IDV.app directory, there is an Info.plist file that is used to launch
the IDV.  It does not reference Java directly and that's probably where the
problem lies.  Unfortunately, we have very little experience with Macs so I'm
not sure how to make that work.  It might be worth a note to address@hidden to
see if others have figured this out.  If you find a solution, we could add it
to the FAQ.

In the mean time, I recompiled IDV 2.7u1 to work with Java 5, so if you
download it again, you should be able to run with your existing Java 5
installation.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: UGQ-180978
Department: Support IDV