[IDV #IQQ-961618]: loading wind profiler data into IDV

Hi Heather-

> Full Name: Heather McIntyre
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Linux
> Hardware: Java: home: /h/eol/mcintyre/IDV/IDV_2.7/jre version: 1.6.0_11
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: Hello,
> I am trying to open wind profiler data from the EOL mapr from the TREX
> project. Can you help me out- I can't seem to find the info I need on your
> help website.

The problem is that these are ill formatted data files, particularly with
regard to units.  Thus, the IDV is looking for the location information, but
can't find it because the altitude has units of:

        float alt ;
                alt:long_name = "Site Altitude" ;
                alt:units = "Meters, ASL" ;

and it should be:

        float alt ;
                alt:long_name = "Site Altitude" ;
                alt:units = "meters" ;

to be udunits compatible.

In general, the EOL Profiler Data Source was a hack, so  I'm not surprised it
doesn't work.  It would be good to work with EOL to fix some of the issues with
the profiler formats and perhaps move to a more widely used standard like CF
conventions.

Don
> There was an error loading the data:
> Error creating data source:file.profiler with:
> /h/eol/mcintyre/projects/trex/mapr/mapr060226.windsnc_05
> couldn't find location
>
> ******************
> Stack trace:
> visad.VisADException: couldn't find location
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.profiler.EOLProfilerDataSource.initProfiler(EOLProfilerDataSource.java:204)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.profiler.EOLProfilerDataSource.<init>(EOLProfilerDataSource.java:119)
> at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
> at
> at
> at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:513)
> at ucar.unidata.data.DataManager.createDataSource(DataManager.java:1481)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.createDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1966)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1883)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1817)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1790)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.IdvChooser.makeDataSource(IdvChooser.java:907)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.FileChooser.selectFilesInner(FileChooser.java:648)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.FileChooser.selectFiles(FileChooser.java:517)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.FileChooser.doLoadInThread(FileChooser.java:539)
> at
> at

Ticket ID: IQQ-961618
Department: Support IDV