[IDV #ANI-315803]: calculation of perturbations using SAVS-like function (GEMPAK)

Hi Cory-

> I'm getting slower and slower with these responses...not good...maybe I just
> need a beer.

No problem.  I haven't had time to look at this.  We start the IDV training
workshop tomorrow so I've been getting ready for that.

 Anyway...the mean is across 1 time step (mean for one forecast output time
i.e. 1 hour for me). As for the GEMPAK code...I use the function below

> GFUNC    = sub(un(wnd),savs(un(wnd)))

What does savs give you over savg.  Are you subsetting by region or by level?

> This function I use in GDCROSS where I set my CXSTNS equal to my lat;long of
> the endpoints. So as I read this, I am subtracting the mean u component
> calculated on each pressure surface along the crossection I defined from each
> u.

Okay, I understand what you are trying to do now.

 I check this with what I obtain in IDL and both agree. At this stage in my
life, if I get just 2 things to agree I'm stoked (I totally ignore if both
precedures are incorrect in the same way!!).

> I have attached a figure which shows several crossectional averages for
> different parameters (only need to focus on the black contour lines with show
> u(prime). I would like to do this in IDV only show a 3D image of u' (and
> other parameters) over the mountain. Essentially a 3D box over the mountain
> to show which levels/sides are contributing more to convergence/divergence.
>
> whew.....that's alot...anything else you need on your end?

That'll do it (except for the savs vs savg question above).

We'll put this request on the TODO list.  We've got a lot of other things on
the list right now (like reading GEMPAK point/sounding files), but we might be
able to sneak it in at some point.  The hard part will be to do an average at
each level instead of over the entire volume, but that's just an index space
thing.

Don

Ticket ID: ANI-315803
Department: Support IDV