[IDV #RCC-431795]: Capturing Movies

Hi Greg,

> I believe Jacob Gore has corresponded with you before about this, but I
> have some additional info now. Our television graphics display system
> has a piece of software that will convert all non-YUV movies to
> Quicktime Format. Several months ago, I captured a movie in IDV, ran it
> through this conversion program, and was able to display the movie on
> our TV system. Now the conversion process is crashing. I sent a note to
> the support staff for our TV system, and was informed of the following:
> We need to be using either YUV422 color space or Quicktime with
> Animation Compression.  They claim that most video editing software
> produces movies in RGB color space, and that we can that convert that
> to YUV format using their conversion program. Now, I may sound like a
> quasi-expert talking about all this, but believe me, I know just enough
> to be dangerous. The bottom line is trying to export a movie from your
> system that will either work with my TV system, or one that is at least
> "convertible" to a format I can use. I have a lot of ideas as to how
> IDV can be used to get some stuff on the air that would be "outside the
> box".

Unfortunately you know more about this than I do. I don't know why the
conversion process is crashing when it once worked? We haven't made any changes
to the movie generation process in a long time.  We just use some external Java
based software to generate the quicktime movies and we are limited in what we
can do.

However, we can generate AVI and animated gifs. Can your system takes those
formats? Also, in the movie capture dialog you can specify a different
directory to write the images to. Each frame is written out as  a .jpeg image
to that directory. You could then take those images and generate a movie with
some other software package.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: RCC-431795
Department: Support IDV