[McV #TPN-306452]: Question about McIDAS-V

Hi Murray,

re: McIDAS-V is available from UW/SSEC
> Thanks for the information.  I never guessed that McIDAS came from
> elsewhere!  Will go searching again today.

Unidata is licensed to distribute McIDAS-X to educational users worldwide.
That may be the reason you were under the impression that you could get
McIDAS-V from us.

> We are beginning to use IDV for marine data training in UNESCO, and are
> quite pleased with it.  In fact, the first lesson I was going to add to
> OceanTeacher concerned QuikScat (RIP), but it's for educational purposes
> only, so its recent demise isn't so bad.

Question:

- is there a compelling reason to use McIDAS-V when you are already
  using the IDV?

re:
> Do you have an IDV "ocean" user group, or know of any training materials
> mainly concerned with ocean datasets, as opposed to meteorological datasets?

No to both questions.  You may want to send a note out to the idvusers email
list asking if there are folks with the same interest/focus as you.  I believe
you are already a member of this list (at least, there is a Murray Brown
with email address of address@hidden subscribed to the list), so you
should be able to post without first subscribing (you will need to post
from your address@hidden address, however).

Ticket ID: TPN-306452
Department: Support McV