[McV #TPN-306452]: Question about McIDAS-V

Hi Murray,

re: Unidata distributes McIDAS-X but not McIDAS-V

> That might very well be how it all came about.  I just never found any
> concise, explicit description of the relation between IDV and McIDAS (i.e.
> the old "compare and contrast" format), so -- based on size alone -- I got
> the impression McIDAS was somehow a more powerful or comprehensive tool.

The principle differences between the IDV at the moment are:

- McIDAS-V's UI has a little different look and feel from the IDV's
- McIDAS-V includes the Hydra package; Hydra provides capabilities
  for working with multi spectral satellite data
- McIDAS-V includes binary versions of select McIDAS ADDE servers
  so that McIDAS-X users migrating to McIDAS-V can continue to
  serve local data via ADDE to McIDAS-V

There may be more differences in the future, but right now, the majority
of the code in McIDAS-V is from the IDV framework.

re: is there a compelling reason to use McIDAS-V when you are already
using the IDV?

> Not at all, and I'm planning to focus solely on IDV now.

OK.  I asked because I am on the McIDAS Advisory Committee (MAC) for
SSEC McIDAS-V development.

re: sending a note to address@hidden to see if there are others
interested as involved in ocean-related issues as you are

> As soon as the smoke clears on some other classroom projects, I'll take that
> approach.  We are entering a new phase of UNESCO training that will
> emphasize operational data synthesis, so the timing is right.

Very good.

re:
> Thanks for your thoughts on these questions.  If my bosses can see fit to
> sponsor me, I'd like to attend an IDV training workshop soon, also.

Excellent!  We look forward to seeing you here in Boulder sometime in
the not too distant future!

Ticket ID: TPN-306452
Department: Support McV