[Support #TKA-168856]: Aggregating NARR GRIB Files

Hi Bradley-

> Is there somewhere I can find NARR A data with only the instantaneous time
> (I know about NARR B, but that is mainly hydrologic data)?

The place I've gotten NARR data is NCDC:

http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/data.php#narr_datasets

You can download files from there.  Alternatively, you can load their catalog
into the IDV Catalog Chooser:

http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/thredds/catalog/narr/catalog.xml

Using that, you can select several files and use the Aggregate Grids By Time
data source type.

Don Murray

> address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hi Bradley-
> >
> > > I am trying to view multiple NARR file data in an animation, but as has
> > been
> > > discussed in much earlier posts (around 2008), only one random time will
> > > show up when aggregating. I saw where this was supposedly fixed in a
> > nightly
> > > build of version 2.5....but I am using the nightly build of version 2.8
> > and
> > > this isn't working. I have tried all available builds (2.7b, 2.8 and the
> > > nightly build of 2.8) with no success.
> >
> > The aggregation by time requires that each file have only 1 forecast hour
> > (the analysis) for it to work.  These files seem to have multiple times in
> > them.
> >
> > The only solution at this point is to load all the files in as Grid Files
> > (you can select multiple files in the chooser).  You can then create time
> > animations using the
> > Miscellaneous->Make a time sequence from single time grids/images formula
> > in the
> > Formulas data Source.  Select the type of display you want and when the
> > Field Selector appears, select the field you want from each file and click
> > the Add Selected.  When you've selected all the grids, click the OK button.
> >
> > It's a pain, but it should work.
> >
> > Don Murray
> >
> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: TKA-168856