[IDV #BTU-802166]: permissions on IDV_2.8 directory

Hi Bill,

> This morning I installed version 2.8 on a Windows 7 pc, accepting the
> suggested directory location. When trying to choose a .kmz file, an
> access denied error occured.
>
> The error disappeared by adding write permission to the IDV_2.8
> directory. It was not present initially although a user with admin access
> installed the IDV. And the installation seems to be okay otherwise.
>
> Do you think this a bug in the install, inherited from the parent directory,
> or something else ?

I have no idea why this would happen. Perhaps opening the kmz triggered Java
to load in some class files from the installer directory.  Did you have read
access to the installer directory? Write access shouldn't matter. The only
place the IDV writes to is <user>/.unidata/idv/DefaultIdv

-Jeff

Ticket ID: BTU-802166
Department: Support IDV