[IDV #BTU-802166]: permissions on IDV_2.8 directory

> Jeff,
>
> My daughter came home with her Windows 7 pc, so I decided to poke
> around. I upgraded
> this pc from Xp, so I know the install was not customized by anyone.
>
> The program files folder and folders of all installed programs do not
> give the users write
> permission. This is consistent with the pc described earlier. It
> appears to me that Windows 7
> sets things up this way. (I also remember Linux folk telling me to keep
> data and executibles
> in separate folders. I never encountered a problem, but respected their
> views. Perhaps
> Microsoft is trying to do this to increase security ?)
>
> When one chooses a .kmz file in the IDV, it writes a .kml file to the
> default directory,
> which is now IDV_2.8 .

Bill,
        I installed a IDV_2.9 on my Window7 machine under default Program
Files, and then open a kmz file, it works, and I also noticed that a kml file
been written to IDV_2.9 folder. When I checked the properties of IDV_2.9
folder, it looks like the same as you described here.

Yuan

Its been this way for a long time. When ever I
> uninstall an old
> version of the IDV, I am left with the default directory and my old
> .kml files.
> I wondered about this, but saw no harm. Now, it seems to be a problem.
> Isn't there a better place for this .kml file ? E.g., how about
> .unidata  ...    tmp ?
>
> So, I would expect other Windows 7 users to encounter the same problem.
> Do you have
> a Windows 7 pc that you can check with ?
>
> Bill
>

> Unidata IDV Support wrote:
>
> Hi Bill,
>

> This morning I installed version 2.8 on a Windows 7 pc, accepting the
> suggested directory location. When trying to choose a .kmz file, an
> access denied error occured.
>
> The error disappeared by adding write permission to the IDV_2.8
> directory. It was not present initially although a user with admin access
> installed the IDV. And the installation seems to be okay otherwise.
>
> Do you think this a bug in the install, inherited from the parent directory,
> or something else ?
>

> I have no idea why this would happen. Perhaps opening the kmz triggered Java
> to load in some class files from the installer directory.  Did you have read
> access to the installer directory? Write access shouldn't matter. The only
> place the IDV writes to is <user>/.unidata/idv/DefaultIdv
>
> -Jeff
>

> Ticket Details
> Ticket ID: BTU-802166
> Department: Support IDV