[IDV #ZRR-572854]: problems loading 1 km vis imagery in IDV

Hi Steve-

> Full Name: Steven Lazarus
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.8u1\jre version: 1.6.0_17
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: Seems like the 4km GOES 12 VIS is ok - I can load
> that -- but the 1km data we look at in nmap2 doesn't want to load in IDV for
> some reason.
> I get the following error message:

Are you loading from disk, or from a remote server?  The problem is that you
are running out of memory. These are huge images.  NMAP uses the X-Server to do
the decimation of the images, IDV does not.

In either case, you'll need to subset the data before loading or have the IDV
resample before
the display.  From the Image Chooser, you can subset the data over a particular
lat/lon. From disk, your only option at present is to set the Max Image Size
preference  (under the Formats & Data tab of the Preferences) to be something
like 1000000 (1 meg-pixel) so the IDV will
pre-decimate the image.  If you want to load only a small region of the 1km
data, then use the Image Chooser to subset to the region you want to display.

You can see more information about performance tuning at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/misc/PerformanceTuning.html

Don Murray
> Creating display: Image Display
> Java heap space