[Support #XLJ-837985]: IDV Mac OS java support

Stuart-

> Your system requirements page says:
>
> "The IDV runs on any platform that supports:
>
> * Java version 1.6 or higherAND
> * Java 3D version 1.3.1 or later (1.5.2 recommended for performance)."
>
> Does Mac need Java3D?

We use the JOGL on Mac and it gets installed by the installer.  You can install
it just for the IDV user, or you can install it for all users.

> For running the IDV 2.8 in background on a Mac OS 10.6.2 I am using this java:
> 72896 Nov  8 14:57
> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/Current/Commands/java
>
> and this Xvfb:
> 3474256 Jul  5  2009 /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvfb
>
> Is this correct?

If that version of Xvfb supports OpenGL 1.3 it should work.

>The IDV installer for Mac does not have Java or Java3D?

It does not have Java, it does have Java3D/JOGL.

> To get the IDV running in background for web service requests I need to run
> Xvfb, with the correct
> $DISPLAY number, right?  Anything else needed?

I would assume so.  I don't have much experience with Xvfb, but it should be
similiar to what you needed for Linux.

> Stu
>
> PS
> The link
> http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/application_updates/javaformacosx105update1.html
> in the IDV help 1.1 systems requirements page
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/Systems.html;
> sentence is "you can upgrade your Java version either by installing Snow
> Leopard, or by installing the Java update
> avaiable here." is no longer valid.

Thanks for catching that, Stu.  It's now javaformacosx105update6.html.  I've
fixed the web site and the original docs.

Don

Ticket ID: XLJ-837985
Department: Support IDV