[IDV #TSE-918145]: About the data calculation of IDV 2.9

> Full Name: Takehiro SUGIYAMA
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version:
> Operating System:
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: I have questions about data calculation of IDV 2.9.
>
> I am trying to convert point data to grid data using IDV 2.9.
>
> In "Dashboard" window, there is a "Grid Parameters" tab in "Field selector"
> tab window. Using default setting, "Use Default" check box is already turned
> on.
>
> I would like to know the calculation process or grid parameters in "Use
> dafault" or "automatic" mode, but I cannot find them.
>
> I only find description in manual shown below;
>
> > Automatic - grid spacing will be calculated from the observation density.
> > (IDV manual chap 5.6.2)
>
> So, there are two questions I want to ask.
>
> 1. How is the grid parameter calculated by IDV, when "Use Default" box is
> checked or spacing "Automatic" is selected ?

The IDV calculates the gridded fields using the Barnes Objective Analysis, and
the grid spacing is calculated from the density of the obs.

> 2. How can I see the grid parameter or calculated formula by IDV, when using
> "Use Default" or "Automatic" ?

The formula of the Barnes Obj Analysis can be found in many text book or
articles, the following references are listed in the IDV user guide:

# Barnes, S.L., 1994a: Applications of the Barnes objective analysis scheme
Part I: Effects of undersampling, wave position, and station randomness. J.
Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 11, 1433-1448.

# Barnes, S.L., 1994b: Applications of the Barnes objective analysis scheme
Part II: Improving derivative estimates. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 11,
1449-1458.

# Barnes, S.L., 1994c: Applications of the Barnes objective analysis scheme
Part III: Tuning for minimum error. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 11, 1459-1479.

Yuan

Ticket ID: TSE-918145
Department: Support IDV