[IDV #SSC-922139]: IDV v2.9u1: Startup error again

Dave-

I'm trying to stay out of this, but....

> > Hi Dave,
> >    The problem now is J3D, no longer Jython library. The J3D version 1.3 is
> > bit old to me, is the 1.5 version available in your machine? When you
> > installed the IDV, I remembered there is option of 1.3 and 1.5, please try
> > to reinstall the IDV with J3D 1.5 version.
>
> Yuan,
>
> During the installation process, the only thing I'm prompted for (other than
> reading the license) is whether I want to install Java OpenGL, and if so, for
> all users or just the user doing the installing--I don't see anything
> referring to J3D version per se.
>
> When I run /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences, I see a reference to
> Java 3D 1.5.2 having been added as an extension under the "Security" tab (see
> attached screen shot), but where else can I specify a Java 3D version? If it
> comes with the IDV installation, then I don't seem to have any control over
> it.
>
> Just for kicks, I ran the uninstaller for both v2.9 and 2.9u1 (I had both
> versions installed) and reinstalled v2.9u1 without and then with installing
> Java OpenGL in response to the installer's prompt. The results have been the
> same.

I ran into the Java3D problem on my new MacBook Pro.  For some reason,
installing Java 3D for all users doesn't seem to work.  Julien can look at this
when he returns.  If you install just for the current user, your Java 3D
problem will go away.

As for the Jython issue, it's trying to unpack some Jython libraries into
~/.unidata/idv.  The zip file is in external.jar.  I'm not sure why it's
failing on your system.

Anyway, that's my $.02

Don Murray

Ticket ID: SSC-922139