[IDV #TNW-894406]: IDV: Lightning data

Hi Dave.

More below.

> On Feb 28, 2011, at 1:35 PM, Unidata IDV Support wrote:
>
> > Please see the IDV screen casts located at
> >
> > http://motherlode.ucar.edu/repository/entry/show/RAMADDA/Unidata/Staff/Julien+Chastang/Screen+cast?entryid=91013a46-c12c-4b1c-9f70-b646e27702be
> >
> > called "Dave Light".
>
> Julien,
>
> I find this an effective way to communicate some IDV "how to"s. (One
> drawback, though: your screen is taller (in pixels) than mine , and my
> browser won't allow me to scale or pan around the image, so the top and
> bottom are cut off and I can't always make out what menus you're accessing or
> menu items you're choosing.)

Because your browser recognizes the mime type, it displays the movie in the
browser cropping some of the movie out. If you can, grab the actual movie file
and display in quicktime or something equivalent. That might work.

> > I bumble around a bit and also in the second lightning example, I should
> > have chosen the "NAPLN" data source type, but hopefully this should be
> > useful to you. Both movies are the same, but under different file formats.
>
> OK, I think I understand the basic approach, and the default display (done as
> an animation with 30-minute frame intervals showing all lightning strikes
> within each 30-minute interval) is something that we can play around with.
> Saving the plot as a bundle that plots the latest data, or selected data
> files, while preserving the animation configuration, would make creating a
> display accessible to most students. (Otherwise there were too many steps to
> be reasonable for most students.)

Exactly. A bundle is probably better or at least complementary.

> I don't know whether or not you intended the screen captured steps to be a
> model for how to use our existing IDV v2.9u2 to plot the NLDN data that we're
> getting from Albany, but it doesn't appear to work--the IDV couldn't read our
> (binary) files assuming either SSEC lightning data format or (not
> surprisingly) the NAPLN text file format (details below, in case it matters).

Hmmmm... yes that should have worked. I just left you voice mail so that we can
get to the bottom of this mystery.

Thanks.

-Julien

> [...]
> *   Dept. of Geosciences                    |  ) ^     /||_||\    --0--  *
> *   San Francisco State University   | )  )    /  ||_||  \    /|\     *
> *   1600 Holloway Ave.                      |  )  )  /   ||_||    \          *
> *   San Francisco, CA   94132          |  )  ) /    ||_||      \   ^   *
> *                                                             | )  )  )
> ||_||        \      *
> *   Phone:  (415) 338-7716               |  )  )  )~||~||~~~~ \~~*
> *   FAX:      (415) 338-7705               | )  )  )  ) ~  ~  ~ ~ ~ ~*
> *   Email:   address@hidden        |  )  )   )  ) ) ~  ~   ~ ~ *
>
> "There was an error loading the data:
> Error creating data source:netcdf.point.sseclightning
> with:
> http://virga.sfsu.edu:8080/repository/entry/show/output:data.opendap/entryid:synth:e83a2159-aefd-4851-be45-20bce32812e7:L25sZG4vMjMvMjAxMTAzODIzMDAubmxkbg==/20110382300.nldn/dodsC/entry.das
> Point obs data source failed making data set:
> /Users/dempsey/.unidata/idv/DefaultIdv/tmp/ncmltemplate1.ncml
> Unable to make a PointDataset from
> /Users/dempsey/.unidata/idv/DefaultIdv/tmp/ncmltemplate1.ncml
> Error ="
>
> Details:
>
> "ucar.unidata.data.BadDataException: Unable to make a PointDataset from
> /Users/dempsey/.unidata/idv/DefaultIdv/tmp/ncmltemplate1.ncml
> Error =
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.point.NetcdfPointDataSource.doMakeDataset(NetcdfPointDataSource.java:282)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.point.NetcdfPointDataSource.getDataset(NetcdfPointDataSource.java:252)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.point.NetcdfPointDataSource.initAfterCreation(NetcdfPointDataSource.java:209)
> at ucar.unidata.data.DataManager.createDataSource(DataManager.java:1559)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.createDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1998)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1915)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1849)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1822)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.IdvChooser.makeDataSource(IdvChooser.java:943)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.XmlChooser.makeDataSource(XmlChooser.java:280)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.ThreddsHandler.processNodes(ThreddsHandler.java:851)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.ThreddsHandler.doLoad(ThreddsHandler.java:700)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.XmlChooser.doLoadInThread(XmlChooser.java:717)
> at
> at
> at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$3.run(Misc.java:1090)"

Ticket ID: TNW-894406
Department: Support IDV