[IDV #ZGT-404452]: Problem probing downloaded STP data from NCDC

> Here are the archived STP files from NCDC which I am trying to probe. Please
> let me know how and if I can probe them.
>
> Thank you,
> Patrick Selmer

Hi Patrick,
       You loaded too many datasets, only a few needed.

       Anyway, I tried the first four files in your list, and the probing
works. The trick is that the dataset is 2D, so you can not do the 3D probing in
these datasets. To do the 2D probing, you need to expand the tab of the fields,
and select "PrecipAccum Elevation Angle 0", and the data probe should work. If
you just select "PricipAccum", the IDV will try to perform the 3D probing and
fail.

Yuan

> address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > > Full Name: Patrick Selmer
> > > Email Address: address@hidden
> > > Package Version: 2.9u3 build date:2011-01-14 00:05 UTC
> > > Operating System: Windows 7
> > > Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.9u3\jre version: 1.6.0_20
> > j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> > > Description of problem: I download level-III STP radar data from NCDC.
> > The data loads and displays into IDV just fine; however, when I try to use
> > the Data Probe to glean values from the image I get the following error:
> > >

> > The data probing in the radar dataset is not functioning correctly, need
> > more works  in the future. If you need to do data probing, please use the
> > ADDE LevelIII server.
> >

> > Yuan
> > > Creating obs
> > > java.lang.NullPointerException
> > >
> > > Note: The data probe works just fine on "live" radar data from the
> > server.
> > >
> > > ******************
> > > Stack trace:
> > > java.lang.NullPointerException
> > > at
> > ucar.unidata.data.radar.CDMRadarAdapter.getVolume(CDMRadarAdapter.java:3877)
> > > at
> > ucar.unidata.data.radar.CDMRadarAdapter.getData(CDMRadarAdapter.java:1738)
> > > at
> > ucar.unidata.data.radar.RadarDataSource$2.run(RadarDataSource.java:491)
> > > at visad.util.ThreadManager.runInParallel(ThreadManager.java:273)
> > > at visad.util.ThreadManager.runInParallel(ThreadManager.java:245)
> > > at visad.util.ThreadManager.runInParallel(ThreadManager.java:212)
> > > at
> > ucar.unidata.data.radar.RadarDataSource.getDataInner(RadarDataSource.java:504)
> > > at ucar.unidata.data.DataSourceImpl.getData(DataSourceImpl.java:2238)
> > > at ucar.unidata.data.DirectDataChoice.getData(DirectDataChoice.java:332)
> > > at ucar.unidata.data.DataChoice.getData(DataChoice.java:637)
> > > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.control.ProbeControl.createDataInstance(ProbeControl.java:2279)
> > > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.control.ProbeControl.initRowInfo(ProbeControl.java:2263)
> > > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.control.ProbeControl.getRowInfo(ProbeControl.java:2244)
> > > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.control.ProbeControl.getRowInfo(ProbeControl.java:2216)
> > > at ucar.unidata.idv.control.ProbeControl.init(ProbeControl.java:308)
> > > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.init(DisplayControlImpl.java:1034)
> > > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor.initControl(ControlDescriptor.java:986)
> > > at ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor$1.run(ControlDescriptor.java:911)
> > > at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$3.run(Misc.java:1091)
> > >

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: ZGT-404452
> > Department: Support IDV

Ticket ID: ZGT-404452