[IDV #LCA-261543]: GrADS .ctl files

Hi Stefan-

> Certainly. Attached is the .ctl created for the 4km-nest domain of my
> most recent output. There were 3 nests(12km-4km-1.33km). If you need
> the .dat file, we will have to figure out some way  to transfer ~12gb
> of data. Have you seen/used ARWpost before? Thanks!

One problem is that the units are not being picked up correctly hence the
incompatibility noted in the
error message. For the GrADS reader, I used the convention that the unit is
between brackets, not parentheses, which seems to be more common.  It's hard to
parse using the parens, because some variable names have comments in parens
that are not units like this one in your file:

T             22  0  perturbation potential temperature (theta-t0) (K)

If you can process the CTL file so the units are in between brackets:

T             22  0  perturbation potential temperature (theta-t0) [K]

that should clear up that problem.

Another problem which might account for the screwy values is the "byteswapped"
option.  For any given file, I don't know the "source" byte order vs. the order
you are reading the data on so I don't know what order I should be reading in.
There is a note near the bottom of the ARWpost page that says that this can
cause problems:

http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/graphics/ARWpost/ARWpost.htm

try removing (or commenting out with a * at the beginning of the line).

Another option is to use WRFpost instead of ARWpost to post process the files
and output Grib or GEMPAK files.

Don

Ticket ID: LCA-261543
Department: Support IDV