[IDV #WGK-260322]: WRF cross-sections: showing terrain and freezing level

> Hi Yuan,
> Great, I think that general approach will work, but I was wondering if
> there is an easy way/function to plot temperature in C using the wrfout
> fields of perturbation potential temperature, etc.
> If not, I can try to just write a function to do it, but I figured that
> since it is probably a pretty common thing WRF users want to do that it
> might already be done in IDV somehow.
> Thanks again so much for your help!
> Kelly

Kelly,
    There is a system function to convert the temperature to potential
temperature, but not the other way. I will be happy to work with you to add
this function if you think this is a commonly use function in the community.

Yuan

> >> Hi Yuan,
> >> Great, thank you so much -- I knew I had seen a way to do that before
> >> but had completely forgotten about the data transect display.
> >> I have followed your instructions and now have my hydrometeor field
> >> plotted with terrain.
> >>
> >> One last addition that I need to make but am stuck on -- and this may be
> >> a more general question about how to go from WRF output fields (like
> >> perturbation pot temp) to temperature.
> >> I would like to plot the 0-deg-isotherm on the cross-section, i.e., the
> >> freezing level height.
> > I would suggest to do the contour cross section  in the transect view
> > first, and then in the Dashboard window, under Displays control, you can
> > easily modify the contour, to only display certain value contour by setting
> > the base contour to this value, and the contour interval to 0 or very big
> > number. Give it a try and let me know if it doesn't work.
> >

> > Yuan
> >> Can you offer any insight on how that would be most effective way to do
> >> that given the fields that are given in the wrfout netcdf files?
> >>
> >> Thanks again very much for your help -- I really appreciate it!
> >> Best,
> >> Kelly

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: WGK-260322