[IDV #XQY-387958]: Displaying lightning data from Vaisala

> Yuan,
>

> I wasn't aware that I could get lightning data from Unidata so I contacted
> Vaisalla.  If you have it, how do I go about requesting it from you?

Jerry,
      Actually, my information about getting data from Unidata is incorrect.
For real time data, you need to contact send a request for a LIGHTNING IDD feed
to:
David Knight <address@hidden> with CC to: address@hidden. So you also need to
run LDM on your side to get the data, but it is free.

> If I still need to go through Vaisalla, that's fine, too.  I've already been
> in contact with them.  However, Ron Holle didn't seem to be familar with
> Unidata and the IDV.  He didn't offer to send the data in "NLDN" format.  In
> fact, he asked specific questions.  Here is an excerpt from his message:

If you want the archive data, you do need to contact Vailalla. No institute
allows to archive the data. There is no IDV format, you can ask them to send
the NLDN format data to you, and the IDV can read and display it. There is a
few layout models in the IDV to display the lightning data.

> So, what do I tell him?  I just want to be able to overlay CG strokes on the
> radial velocity displays which I already have from NCDC.  So I will need
> exact locations and times of the strokes.

I do have a sample you can check, see the attached.

Yuan
> Jerry
>
> ===================

> > I think next week my contact from Vaisalla, Ron Holle will contact me
> > again.  Can you let me know what to tell him about the best format on
> > lightning strike data for the IDV?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Jerry
>
> Hi Jerry,
> NLDN is the format from Vaisalla, and there is no problem to display this
> type of lightning data in the IDV. Actually, you should be qualify to get the
> free NLDN data from Unidata too, please let us know if you are interested.
>
> Yuan

Ticket ID: XQY-387958
Department: Support IDV