[IDV #MAQ-570051]: Getting an error when using Data Probe on Radial Velocity

> Full Name: Jerry Blechman
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.9u3\jre version: 1.6.0_20
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: Updating time
> Gridded3DSet.valueToGrid: requires all grid dimensions to be > 1
>

> Gentlemen:
>
> I have Radar data from NCDC and lightning data from Vaisala from the big
> tornado outbreak on April 27, 2011.  Those work just fine and the CG strokes
> look great displayed with the radar screens.  I'd like to use a data probe to
> find the exact value of radial velocity in the mesocyclones.  It works when
> the parameter is the lightning data.  But when I add the radial velocity, I
> get missing data errors as shown above.  Why is this?   It would seem to me
> that the IDV has radial velocity values or it wouldn't be able to plot the
> map.
>
> Jerry

Hi Jerry,
    When doing the data probe on the radar dataset, you need to select the
individual elevation in the Fields selector. Either level2 or level3 dataset,
you expand the BaseVelocity field, and select the field like "BaseVelocity
Elevation Angle .5", and then in the Displays, select "Data Probe/Time Series",
you can create the display.

Yuan

> ******************
> Stack trace:
> visad.SetException: Gridded3DSet.valueToGrid: requires all grid dimensions to
> be > 1
> at visad.Gridded3DSet.valueToGrid(Gridded3DSet.java:1077)
> at visad.GriddedSet.valueToInterp(GriddedSet.java:383)
> at visad.FlatField.resample(FlatField.java:4633)
> at visad.FunctionImpl.evaluate(FunctionImpl.java:168)
> at ucar.unidata.data.grid.GridUtil.sampleAtPoint(GridUtil.java:3573)
> at ucar.unidata.data.grid.GridUtil.sample(GridUtil.java:2167)
> at ucar.unidata.data.grid.GridUtil.sample(GridUtil.java:2125)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.ProbeControl.getSampleAtPoint(ProbeControl.java:2413)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.control.ProbeControl.getSampleAt(ProbeControl.java:2508)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.control.ProbeControl.setData(ProbeControl.java:2544)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.ProbeControl.updateTimeInner(ProbeControl.java:2037)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.control.ProbeControl.updateTime(ProbeControl.java:2012)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.ProbeControl.updatePositionInSwingThread(ProbeControl.java:1989)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.control.ProbeControl.access$1400(ProbeControl.java:112)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.control.ProbeControl$11.run(ProbeControl.java:1955)
> at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Ticket ID: MAQ-570051
Department: Support IDV