[IDV #MUS-211252]: IDV v3.0b1: Streamlines colored by wind speed; winds on isosurfaces

Hi Dave-

I just have to butt in.

> Two questions about IDV capabilities:
>
> (1) Is it possible to color streamlines based on the wind speed? (I don't see
> any obvious way to do this, and no reference to it in the User's Guide.)

Use the Grids->One value colored by another formula and select the Flow
Displays->Streamline Plan View display.  For the Data Field, select the True
Wind vectors and for the Color field, select Speed (from u and v).

> (2) Is it possible to plot wind barbs or wind vectors on an isosurface of
> another quantity other than pressure, such as potential temperature (an
> isentropic surface)? To do so seems as if it would require knowing the height
> field of the isosurface, which defines the topography on which the winds
> would be plotted. The IDV currently can plot wind vectors on isobaric
> surfaces because the geopotential heights of such surfaces are available in
> forecast model data files, but if the IDV calculates the height field for
> other kinds of isosurfaces as a necessary step toward creating an isosurface
> plot, then couldn't winds be plotted on that topography, too?

This is not possible at present.  It is on the list of things to do.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: MUS-211252
Department: Support IDV