[IDV #SRY-572364]: 3D (or 2D) plots of dropsonde data

> Hi,
>
> My name is Mark Boothe, and I'm a researcher working with the GV dropsonde
> data from the PREDICT experiment of 2010.  I'm an IDV novice, so bear with
> me!  I have used Aspen v3.1 to convert the original text files into NetCDF
> format, and I can load them into IDV.  I can create skew-t plots, but I was
> hoping to create 3D plots (or even 2D plots) of the data.  At first glance of
> the documentation, this seems possible with gridded model data, but I'm not
> sure if it can be done with irregularly-spaced dropsonde data.  Can it?
>
> Thanks for any guidance you can give!
> Mark Boothe
> Naval Postgraduate School

Hi Mark,
     When you loaded the data in the IDV, if you selected the data source type
as "upsonde/dropsonde files", you should have the option in the field selector
like: Track, Skew-T and Sonde Start Locations. I am not sure if this is what
you mean 2D/3D plot. Can you upload a dataset here:

"http://motherlode.ucar.edu/repository/alias/idvupload";

Yuan

Ticket ID: SRY-572364
Department: Support IDV