[Staging #LMS-496434]: Re: Need help for Point Flow Vector Data

> > The difference between flowvector and flowvecotr3d is vertical velocity.
> > The flowector3d is for the dataset with u,v, and w. So, if we change the to
> > flowvector3d for the vertical profile, we will lost many derived variable
> > for those dataset only have u and v.
> >
> > The naming is a little confusing, sorry about it.
> >

> > Yuan
> Its ok Sir. I think one can carry with that anyhow.
>
> For my clarity, can you please elaborate on the point discussed above
> (if possible with example).

In a 3D dataset, most model output doesn't have vertical velocity w (=dz/dt),
but may have pressure vertical velocity (dp/dt). If you don't set the alias
name for dp/dt to be vertical velocity w, Both u and v are categorized as
flowvector. If you set the alias name for dp/dt to be vertical velocity, then
it can be categorized as flowvector3d.

Yuan

> regards
> Ghansham