[IDV #SNY-273457]: IDV and subsurface ocean data

Greetings Charlie!

I downloaded a sample of the data and was able to see things in 3D (see
attached image). I loaded the data and then, from the Field Selector tab in the
Dashboard, I selected a 3D variable (in this case, potential temperature) and
selected 3D Surface -> Isosurface from the display list. Once you click "Create
Display", then an overhead view of the 3D isosurface will render in the window.
You can drag the view around with your mouse to see the 3D nature of the image.
Note that you can set the isosurface value by clicking the appropriate display
under the "Display" tab on the Dashboard.

Now, a perhaps more interesting view of the data can be seen using the globe
display. From any idv window, click File->New->View Window->Globe View->One
Pane. Then, create the display using that view window and you'll get something
like the second image I've attached.

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers!

Sean

> I was able to get data to load but as far as I can see the 3D
> representation is only from the top and is just a 2D view because it does
> not extend below the oceans surface. Perhaps I am not doing something
> correctly?
> Thanks for your help. Charlie
>
> Try this link:
> http://moe.met.fsu.edu/~rhart/usf/ike2008/cfsr/
>

> address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > > Is IDV capable of displaying subsurface ocean data in grib2 format in 2D
> > > and/or 3D?
> > >
> > > Thanks, Charlie Paxton
> > >

> > Greetings Charlie,
> >
> > The IDV should be able to display the data as long as it can understand
> > the coordinate system variables in the grib2 file. Have you tried to open
> > the data from within the IDV? If you get errors while trying to read the
> > data, please let me know what they say. At that point, it may be helpful if
> > I have a sample file to work with on this end (are the data publicly
> > accessible?).
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > Sean
> >
> > Ticket Details