[IDV #PCI-730699]: can this netcdf data be read by IDV?

> On Mar 30, 2012, at 4:58 PM, Unidata IDV Support wrote:
>
> >> Full Name: Christopher Lynnes
> >> Email Address: address@hidden
> >> Package Version: 3.0 build date:2011-08-29 16:38 UTC
> >> Operating System: Mac OS X
> >> Hardware: Java: home:
> >> /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home version:
> >> 1.6.0_29 j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> >> Description of problem: Problem opening
> >> file:/Users/clynnes/data/ACOS/idv/soundings.ncml
> >> java.lang.NullPointerException
> >> java.lang.NullPointerException
> >>
> >> I tried modifying the "location" attribute in the ncml file you sent and
> >> reading in as a Trajectory Sounding File, but got the above error.  Am I
> >> reading it in as the proper type?  Am reattaching the ncml and netcdf,
> >> just in case...
> >>
> >> ******************
> > The problem is that the coordinate variables in your new nc file uses
> > sounding_latitude and sounding_longitude for the lat and lon, see the
> > attached ncml which I used to modify the naming to lat and lon.
> >
> > Yuan
> >

> My mistake:  i thought I could feed the soundings.ncml to IDV to modify the
> coordinate variables on the fly.
>
> However, in the example attached, I modified them to lat and lon, and I still
> get the same error trying to load it in as a Trajectory Sounding File.

The modification of this nc file is relatively simple, and the IDV can load it
as netCDF point data. If you want to
load it as Trajectory Sounding File, it would require more works on the ncml.
Not sure how do you want to visualize this
dataset.

Yuan

> --
> Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185

Ticket ID: PCI-730699
Department: Support IDV