[IDV #SJQ-840722]: .idx files

Hi Rob,

The ctl and idx files are metadata files that describe what data are available
and how its stored in the actual grib data file. The .ctl file is a GrADS
Control File (or Data Descriptor File) and describes what data are available in
the grib file, where the actual datafile (GRIB -> .grb) is located on your
system, the 'shape' or dimensions of the variables in the file, and a bit of
GrADS specific information. The .idx file is a GRIB index, or Gridmap, file.
The .idx file relates the variables described in the .ctl file the actual GRIB
messages ('chunks' of data associated with the same variable - they don't
necessarily live right next to each other inside the GRIB file). I'm not sure
what information you would want to visualize from these metadata files.

In a simplified sense, the .ctl files says "this is what we have" and the .idx
file says "this is how it's stored on the disk." GrADS uses this information to
read the actual data from the GRIB file.

The IDV is capable of reading GRIB files straight up, without the need for .ctl
or .idx files, although if you analyze data in GrADS first and save the
results, then I think you need the .ctl file to tell the IDV what is in the new
GRIB file. I was able to download the GRIB files from the link you sent and
open them in the IDV without issue. Have you tried just using the .grb files? I
see that for the example you sent (RUC data from 2006-05-03, there aren't any
actual data files there, which would mean NOMADS does not have the data you
need. You may want to contact them to see why the data are missing.

Cheers,

Sean

Ticket ID: SJQ-840722
Department: Support IDV