[IDV #TPP-254601]: More details on "Sunday" problem with OPeNDAP and/or THREDDS

Greetings Murray,

> Good Morning Sean,
>
> Wow.  So early.  Yeps, I have msgs from the HYCOM folks about their
> troubles, and actually thought I was sending a note to them.  My dementia
> kicked in and I sent it to you folks instead.

No problem :-)

> I've seen their travails from my end, with the appearance and disappearance
> of my target data (over the hours), and even when available the spatial and
> temporal subsetting doesn't work, i.e. the guts of OPeNDAP.  That's show
> biz.  I wish somebody would buy them a better server.
>
> Anyway, while a friendly soul is listening, I want to ask you about the
> difference between subsetting a la the PROPERTIES of the data object (in the
> upper left quarter of IDV's dashboard) and the similar (but not so
> comprehensive) functions in the lower right corner (available just before
> CREATE DISPLAY).

The Properties of the data object apply to the entire set of variables within
the data source, while the tools in the lower right corner apply the field
you've selected.

> They are almost, but not quite identical, for example the
> spatial subsetting is manual only, without coordinate specification.

The properties "Spatial Subset" tab is a combination of the "Region" and
"Stride" tabs in the lower right part of the dashboard, except like I said
before, one is dataset wide, the other is for a single variable.

> Also,  I've seen cases where initial specification of TIMES in the upper left
> corner was not honored later in the lower right corner.  Which one
> over-rides the other, or is it merely a matter of which one was set last?
> And last, what is the full meaning of USE DEFAULT?

From what I gather, "use default" will default to what is set under the
Properties for the data source (which is, by default, no spatial or temporal
subsetting). If you set a temporal and/or spatial subset via the Properties
interface for a data source and have "use default" selected in the times,
region, and stride tabs in the lower right, then the temporal and/or spatial
subset you've set for the data source should be honored (if not, please let us
know!).

Cheers,

Sean

Ticket ID: TPP-254601