[IDV #VRB-317344]: Conversion of infrared data to temperature

> What does vecmatg do?

vecmath.jar is probably the part of Java3d that contains the linear algebra
routines needed to do 3d visualization. I've learned a bit more about how the
IDV and Java3D play on Macs (kudos to Don Murray). It looks like the java3d
library stuff in ~/Library/Java/Extension is installed by the IDV (if "Install
for this user" is selected when prompted to install JOGL). Somehow, our copies
of the Java3D libs were changed (another package installed an older copy of J3D
maybe?), and we were unable to run the IDV. I would suggest removing everything
from ~/Library/Java/Extensions, and reinstall the IDV and allow it to put in
the latest version of java3d (make sure to use 'Install for this user" and not
for the entire System). Mac ships with an older version of Java3D that does not
play well with the IDV (which is likely what you are using right now). It
works, but things will go downhill when you try to resize windows, as well as
some other issues.

> I'll give McV a shot, too.

I just reinstalled McV and it works now too.

> FYI, this is all on the Mac, not the Parallels XP machine running on top of
> it. Tried that, it ran but soon crashed. Not sure why.

There are some issues with OpenGL and DirectX calls being made from inside a
virtual machine (which is why not all computer games will run inside a VM).
I've heard tale of the IDV running inside of a VM, but it took a specific
virtual machine manager and a specific flavor of Linux. The option to run
inside a VM is looking promising, but it's not quite there on the VM software
side.

Cheers,

Sean

> On May 21, 2012, at 11:37, "Unidata IDV Support" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Great news. I would also remove vecmath.jar (I actually removed everything
> > in that folder - so far, nothing negative). I don't think any part of the
> > MacOS uses java3d, but if it does, I'd be surprised if it relied on
> > something in your home folder (MacOS tends to keep its system VMs - like
> > Java and Python - separate from what users access as well as the users
> > particular home directory).
> >
> > Also, have you given McV a shot since modifying the contents of
> > ~/Library/Java/Extensions?
> >
> > Sean
> >
> >> Sean,
> >>
> >> Well, I took the plunge, downloaded the latest IDV and deleted those two
> >> java3d jar files, then started IDV3.0U2.  No re-install of the OS, though.
> >>
> >> That seems to have done the trick!  IDV is working normally so far.  Now
> >> I'm going to start pushing things a bit further in terms of the data being
> >> read in (size of zidv files) and what I'm trying to do (overlay flight
> >> tracks on satelite, radar and METAR data).
> >>
> >> Fingers crossed!

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: VRB-317344
> > Department: Support IDV