[IDV #GDP-431455]: Shape file challenges

> IDVers:
>
> While everyone is out of town, I've been playing around with this
> issue.  I'll start with the problem that was easiest to isolate.
>
> First, I opted to try and plot a kmz file of this data rather than
> the shape files.  The kmz is attached.  IDV_3.0u2 reads the kmz file.
> It is able to plot the ski area boundaries.  IDV_3.0u3, however,
> cannot.  It says there was an error parsing the xml file.
>
> Although IDV_3.0u2 can plot the ski area boundaries, it doesn't
> seem to be able to plot the lifts.  The file does work correctly in
> Google Earth.
>
> I'll see if I can provide better guidance on the shapefile issue
> next week.
>
> Jim

Jim,
    Sorry for the delay.
    I played these shape files this afternoon, and got to understand the
problem better. I may have answer to some of your questions here.
First, why you need to load the zip file? I think this is the format issue, for
this kind of shape file, the IDV also need the information
from other files, and the zip file includes all those information files. The
zip file for the ski lift can not be display in the IDV since the
dbf file inside the zip has an additional line. For the issue of 0.1 degree off
of the latitude, I have no idea. I need other tools like ArcGis to do more
research, hopefully earlier next week.

Yuan

> On 6/19/12 1:23 PM, Jim Steenburgh wrote:
> > I've been able to get it to plot if I read in the .zip file directly.
> > I think Jeff told me to try this a couple of years ago. Unfortunately,
> > the positioning is off by perhaps .1 degree.  At issue is if this is a
> > problem in the file or a problem with the IDV.
> >
> > Jim
> >

> > On 6/19/12 1:07 PM, Jim Steenburgh wrote:
> >> Hi:
> >>
> >>     I'm having a devil of a time getting IDV to successfully plot the
> >> ski area/lift shape files available at:
> >> http://gis.utah.gov/data/recreation/ski-areas/
> >>
> >>     I've tried adding them as a map and also through the data
> >> chooser.  I can't get it to plot successfully.
> >>
> >> Jim

Ticket ID: GDP-431455
Department: Support IDV