[IDV #WHM-665465]: Can not select some DFFD datasets

Greetings Albert,

> > Greetings Albert,
> >
> > Yes, I looked into this a bit more and found that the problem happens
> > pretty often. I don't seem to have any issues with the non-conduit NDFD
> > grids:
> >
> > http://motherlode.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/fmrc/NCEP/NDFD/CONUS_5km/files/catalog.xml
> > '
>
> Sean,
>
> The issue for non-conduit NDFD grids is I need temps and dew points, not
> the daily extremes which is what seems to be in that data. I also will
> be building a compiling forecasted temp database for Central Park
> (interpolated) from NDFD so need to go though the data sets procedurally
> via IDV scripting so a manual download is not really viable.

We have a development THREDDS server that seems to have the data
you need. You should be able to use the following url in your script
to get the data (modify for date and time, of course):

dods://motherlode.ucar.edu:9080/thredds/dodsC/grib/NCEP/NDFD/CONUS_5km_conduit/files/NDFD_CONUS_5km_conduit_YYYYMMDD_HHMM.grib2

Let me know if this works for you.  Cheers!

Sean

> Cheers,
> Albert
>

> > However, they are only available for 12Z and 18Z.
> >
> > One way around this is to download the conduit-feed grib2 file to your
> > disk and load it directly into the IDV, using the following steps:
> >
> > 1) Go to
> > http://motherlode.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/NCEP/NDFD/conduit/CONUS_5km/catalog.html
> > find the output you wish to use, and follow that link.
> >
> > 2) On the page that the link takes you to, look for the 'Access' section and
> > click on the link after "HTTPServer" - this will download the grib2 file.
> >
> > 3) In the IDV, go to the Dashboard and click on the "Data Choosers" tab.
> > Make sure to select "General -> Files" on the left side of the dashboard,
> > then use the file system explorer in the shown in the "Data Choosers" tab
> > to navigate to the file you just downloaded, and click "Add Source."
> >
> > Given that this works, it seems like there may be a bug in THREDDS, so
> > I've submitted a bug that you can follow along with, if you wish:
> >
> > https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/jira/browse/TDS-305
> >
> > I'm not aware of any other sources for NDFD as we distribute it (it looks
> > like NOMADS may break up the file into several regions  for serving
> > http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/thredds/catalog.html).
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Sean
> >
> >> Sean,
> >>
> >> There are other examples peppered in the data sets that it can not read.
> >> This seems to be an ongoing issue. For example today (7/13) 2100, 2000,
> >> 1700 plus more have the same problem. (Something like a 1/3-1/2 or the
> >> datasets have the issue.)
> >> Are there other sources for the NCEP NDFD (current not historical) data?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Albert

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: WHM-665465