[IDV #SRY-572364]: 3D (or 2D) plots of dropsonde data

> Yuan,
>
> I'm making a bit more progress.  I'm displaying the u-component of the
> wind in a 3D plot (see attached).  It seems to be plotting only about a
> dozen points per dropsonde.  What I'd like to do is display much more data
> to fill in the empty spaces.  Perhaps I just haven't figured out how to
> increase the amount of data that is displayed, especially in the vertical.
> Hopefully, IDV is able to interpolate in the horizontal between the drop
> locations?
>
> Thanks!
> Mark

Mark,
     Sorry for taking so long to recheck this support ticket.
     I think the missing value might relates to the sampling mode you selected,
the weight average. If you select the nearest neighbor mode, you should get the
correct value. For the 2D dataset, you can ignore the altitude value as it has
no meaning, but the IDV display is in 3D mode.

Yuan

> >>dropsonde data from the PREDICT experiment of 2010.  I'm an IDV novice,
> >>so bear with me!  I have used Aspen v3.1 to convert the original text
> >>files into NetCDF format, and I can load them into IDV.  I can create
> >>skew-t plots, but I was hoping to create 3D plots (or even 2D plots) of
> >>the data.  At first glance of the documentation, this seems possible
> >>with gridded model data, but I'm not sure if it can be done with
> >>irregularly-spaced dropsonde data.  Can it?

> >> Hi Mark,
> >> When you loaded the data in the IDV, if you selected the data source
> >>type as "upsonde/dropsonde files", you should have the option in the
> >>field selector like: Track, Skew-T and Sonde Start Locations. I am not
> >>sure if this is what you mean 2D/3D plot. Can you upload a dataset here:
> >>
> >> "http://motherlode.ucar.edu/repository/alias/idvupload";
> >>

> >> Yuan
> >Hi Mark,
> >     I got the data you uploaded.  It is what I am expected.
> >     After loading the data, go to the Field Selector tab, in the Fields
> >panel, you need to expand the Track tree, and select one of the variable
> >and also select Track Colored By Parameter in the Displays panel, when
> >you create the display, you should see the 3D display in the map view
> >window.
> >

> >Yuan
> >
> >Ticket Details
> >Ticket ID: SRY-572364