[IDV #RIS-865225]: problems on nc files Portugal

> Full Name: carlos sonderblohm
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows 7
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_3.0u2\jre version: 1.6.0_20
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem:
>
> im trying to open a dataset from Laboratoire d?Etudes en G?ophysique et
> Oc?anographie Spatiales (LEGOS) in Toulouse, France. The dataset consist
> in Surface currents in nc files (CDF) format. My goal is to extract
> a time-series from a point nearby my study area to export the data as
> csv file then to work on my statistic software. Could you please tell
> me what's wrong with those files, they are from a older version, I was
> checking up the head lines of the files and looks like different from
> the ones that I used before (I did it already once!)  data available at:
>
> ftp://ftp.legos.obs-mip.fr/pub/tmp7j/sonderblohm-523

Hi, Carlos
         I randomly selected one file from the attached tar file,
EKE_v_geo.weekly.2000.nc, the problem is the unit of the time variable is not
recognized.
I changed the unit to hours as a test, and the IDV can take the modified
dataset with no problem.

         The CF standard of time unit can be found online, here is a reference
for you:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/GALEON/NetCDFandStandards.htm

What you are planning to do with these datasets is very easy in the IDV, let me
know if you have any question.

Yuan

Ticket ID: RIS-865225
Department: Support IDV