[IDV #UXR-866010]: IDV hangs on launch

Dear Craig,

There have been several red herrings over the course of this long thread (e.g.
wpad network issues, ECMWF dataset), but it looks like the core issue is the
Java & Java 3D installation on your Mac. When we distribute the IDV on OS X, we
set it up such that it should "just work". This the case for my OS X Lion
machine, and others.

Panoply does not use Java 3D as far as I can tell. The JOGL issue you reference
concerns JOGL 2.0 RC-* so that's irrelevant. The PBuffers issue could be
relevant, but do you see the sort of errors they reference in that thread?
Moreover, do you have a Radeon video card? See Apple menu, About This Mac.

The IDV / Java 1.6 / Java 3D works just fine as long as the Java installation
on your system has not been modified in an unusual way.

At this point, I would recommend uninstalling Java on your Mac, and
re-installing Java 6. This is some what risky, however, because the OS X Java 6
JRE, is getting hard to find. These links may be able to help:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4136010,
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/39490/apple-java-for-os-x-lion.

Best Wishes,

Unidata IDV Support