[IDV #HVQ-354383]: taskbars, warnings before big jobs

> Hello IDV team.
>
> Could a warning system before executing large requests,
> and a more informative activity monitor,
> be designed and included in future releases?
>

> IDV often takes a long time to do something, with
> little indication of how long it is expected to take.
> Right now I am 30 minutes into a who-knows-how-long
> wait to create a .zidv bundle. Actually I have never made a .zidv,
> I always succumb to doubts and quit the job.
>
> IDV warns before loading rather paltry amounts of satellite imagery,
> but then gives no comparable no warning when some huge and
> (I would think) quite calculable grid request is made.
>
> Also, it would be nice to know what the hangup is in a little more
> detail. Is a file being downloaded and progress is happening?
> Or is it rendering or otherwise doing a lot of math?
> Or is it stuck?
>
> My students are coming away from their class a little afraid and
> superstitious about IDV, which is too bad.
>
> To repeat: Could a warning system before executing large requests,
> and a more informative activity monitor, be built for future releases?

Brain,
     This is a feature in our TODO list but relatively low priority. I will
bring up your request in our developer monthly meeting tomorrow morning. To
give a warning message is not difficult, but the detail activity monitoring
might be a little tedious to fully implemented. In the current release, there
are some general indicators as reading the data or rendering the display, but
definitely not detail enough.

Yuan
> Thanks,
> Brian Mapes