[IDV #EGD-210170]: confusions in loading a bundle that I saved without data

> I am quite confused about saving bundles without data
> (Display and View templates). It seems appealing, but is awkward.
> At the very least, least, the documentation is out of date:
> The Help browser in IDV 3.1 says:
>
> *            The Enable user to change data button, when checked, will
> configure the bundle so that when it is loaded the user will be able to
> change the file paths or URLS that point to data sets.
>
> There is no such button.

Brain,
      The problem is that there are several steps in the loading display only
bundle can go wrong. It is probably easier to save a regular bundle, and then
change the data path.
      In general, it is always the most challenge part to do the perfect design
of the user interface in a application like the IDV. We welcome any suggestion
to improve the user interfaces in the IDV. The development of the IDV is always
driven by the requirement of our community.

Yuan

> So I saved a bundle with the "Data Sources" box unchecked.
> Views and Displays remained checked.
> When I try to load this bundle in a fresh IDV session,
> I get a Field Selector dialog for a field with its name in italics as
> the clue for what to select, but with no options available except Formulas.
> I can click OK, or Cancel. That's all.
>
> "Initializing after unpersistence" error if I click OK,
> or nothing if I click Cancel (the next dialog comes up
> for the next displayed field, again with no options
> other than Formulas.
>

> Apparently I have to attach Data Sources first, then open the bundle.
> A little inconvenient, as I have to click "cancel" like 10 times,
> then go to Data Choosers, then return to open the bundle again.
>
> Do I or don't I want to Change data paths when opening the bundle?
> From what? This check box doesn't make much sense. Perhaps the
> mouse-hover help on that checkbox could be a little more explicit.
> Does this apply to local-disk data sources only?
>

> OK, finally I get a Field Selector with some data sources available.
> But it seems I have to re-enter all my ensemble members, times,
> levels, etc. It is like starting cold. What a tedium. Difference fields
> don't seem to know what they were differences of. In fact I have to
> locate the difference formula again, and then locate and fill in a and b.
> Only the vague display name (simple difference) is my only clue to
> what display it is trying to load.
>
> Among other things I soon get this error:
> "Initializing after unpersistence
> Invalid range:ucar.ma2.InvalidRangeException: Number
> of ranges in section (1) must be = 2"
>
> Can't make sense of it. Sigh. Click OK. Who knows what will be
> broken after I do all the rest of the work.
>
> If I have to wade through all the time subsetting manually,
> I almost may as well build the whole darn thing from scratch .
> Saving a bundle without its data seems like a drag to me.
> It is klunky and poorly documented. I have tried several times
> and also at the training and read the documentation, and
> it still confuses me.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian Mapes
> address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden> or address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden>