[IDV #XKC-503786]: output of GOES netcdf is not georeferenced

> Full Name: Matthew Beckley
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version:
> Operating System: MAC OSX - Lion
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: Hi,
>
> I am trying to output a GOES WEST IR image into netcdf so that I map import
> it into ArcGIS.  This has worked for other model data such as NAM total cloud
> cover.  But, for some reason, it won't work for the GOES imagery.
>
> I end up with a netcdf that has no projection info in it (from doing a
> gdalinfo on the file).  Basically all I have is the pixel dimensions of the
> image (864 x 699).  I tried defining the projection as WGS-LL, or Lambert
> Conformal Conic, but nothing worked.

Matthew,
         If you are getting those image from a ADDE server, I will not be
surprise to see this kind of result. I am guessing that some of the information
like projection of the area file is not saved into the netCDF file, and the
image projections might be very different from those available in the netCDF
library. I need more research to figure out the exact reason behind the scene.
> Am I missing something obvious?  I'd appreciate and help you could provide.

One suggestion is to get those satellite image from TDS server (the file is in
gini format), and you can type in the following link in the catalog input:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu/thredds/idd/satellite.xml

I believe these gini files can be output to the netcdf and  load into ArcGIS.

Yuan
> Thanks for your time.
>
> matt.

Ticket ID: XKC-503786