[IDV #JSW-346292]: IDV windows flash and disappear, when piped from a remote Linux machine

> We asked for IDV to be installed on our university's
> Linux visualization cluster. We use ssh -X to connect to it
> and pipe the X windows back.
>
> When runIDV is typed, its windows flash but then disappear and
> the error messages below appear. Are these familiar to you?

Hi Brian,
       I am not surprised that ssh -X not working. I remember using ssh -Y a
few times, but the pipe connecting the server is always slow, even in the local
network. In general, the IDV is not designed to handle this kind of operation.
The server side features of the IDV is in our next 5 years plan.

Yuan

> [bchen@vis1 ~]$ module load java
> [bchen@vis1 ~]$ module load IDV_3.1u1
> [bchen@vis1 ~]$ runIDV
>
> /share/apps/IDV/IDV_3.1u1/runIDV: line 60: Picked: command not found
> Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xms16m -Xmx512m
> Java 3D ERROR : glXMakeCurrent fails
> Canvas3D_createNewContext: couldn't make current
>
> DefaultRenderingErrorListener.errorOccurred:
> CONTEXT_CREATION_ERROR: Renderer: Error creating Canvas3D graphics context
> graphicsDevice = X11GraphicsDevice[screen=0]
> canvas = visad.java3d.VisADCanvasJ3D[canvas0,0,0,592x462]
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
>
> Brian Mapes
> address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden> or address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden>