[IDV #AJF-799505]: fill value / missing value gets misinterpreted as data

> Hi Yuan. Thanks for taking this on.
>
> It's an online dataset.
> This bundle (attached) shows the problem easily with just 1 time level.
> Hope the problem isn't machine specific. (Im on a mac).
>
> See how the contour range and interval comes out non-useful because
> that is the range of data values. Yet the fill value, which is what
> should really be present in the undeground regions of earth, is actually
> 9.9999999E14f according to the metadata:
>
> float u(time=46752, lev=42, lat=361, lon=540);
> :_CoordinateAxes = "time lev lat lon ";
> :_FillValue = 9.9999999E14f; // float
> :missing_value = 9.9999999E14f; // float
> :long_name = "eastward wind component ";

I don't get it. The data range is from -9.99E8 to 23.1 according to your
attached image and file value is 9.999E14, and you suspect that the fill value
somehow spoils the range of the data value. What is the data range you expected?

Yuan
> [cid:c15e1082-232c-405d-aa25-4c9f57e372fb@amazon.rsmas.miami.edu]
>

> Brian
>

> On Jan 11, 2013, at 11:19 AM, Unidata IDV Support wrote:
>
> >> Full Name: brian mapes
> >> Email Address: address@hidden
> >> Package Version: 4.0alpha1 build date:2012-12-26 08:14 UTC
> >> Operating System: Mac OS X
> >> Hardware: Java: home:
> >> /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home version:
> >> 1.6.0_37 j3d:1.3.1
> >> Description of problem: Loading this bundle, u850 appears to be
> >> -9.999999E8 under the land surface.
> >>
> >> The dataset has 9.999999999e14 as the fill value and missing value, so
> >> that is somehow being misinterpreted and spoiling the color range.
> >>
> >> I want to share bundles using this online dataset with a possible new IDV
> >> user community on Jan 14, and I really wish this didn't make the default
> >> colors always bad, requiring color table adjusting for each and every
> >> display.
> >>

> > Brian,
> >   If the fill value is defined in the dataset, it should be recognized by
> > the IDV. Could you send us a small sample file?
> >

> > Yuan
> >
> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: AJF-799505
> > Department: Support IDV