[IDV #TZB-248628]: Time Driver bug? in time-height section display.

> OOPS! My problem.
> I need to pay attention to the time label better.
> The 3D MERRA data ends 2010 while the 2D MERRA data goes through the present.
> Weird.
> NASA data people are looking into it. Thanks, sorry for confusion.

I'm just glad it was user error and not my code. ;-)

> The two View Windows seem to animate synchrously,
> so their time drivers talk to each other, but when I change the time request
> in one,
> it doesn't  change the other. I have never understood the relationship
> among these separately created View Windows, and whether
> it is possible to combine them into one, or share / unshare, or whatever.
> That might be my study job, not your job to explain, but any comments/tips
> welcomed.

The animation time sets (drivers) are not shared between the different views,
but other properties are (like the current time set). I'm scared to share the
animation set by default - I don't know what the result would be.  I vaguely
remember we used to share them and badness ensued. :-(

You can control the properties that do get shared with the Animation Properties
Dialog (click the "i" button on the widget).  You'll see that you can share
absolute times (the default), or relative times (useful for syncing disparate
time sets like a 12month climate dataset and a 12 month observed), or none for
no sharing.  You can set the animation group so that if you had 4 views, you
could have 2 animating together and another 2 animating together by setting
them to different share groups.  By default, all view windows are in the same
animation share group and sharing by absolute times.  I used to go over this in
the satellite/radar section of the User Workshop:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/workshop/datadisplays/imagery/Level3RadarImage.html

You can create a multiple panel display through the File->New->View Window->Map
View menu. For the multiple display, the projections are shared by default as
well.  But you can set up separate windows to share projections through the
Projections->Set Share Group and Share Views menus.  At one time I thought of
setting a global time driver which is useful for multipanel displays, but the
biggest problem there is how to let the user specify that.  I guess if they
could share the animation time set, that would do the same thing.

Don

> > Hi Brian-
> >
> > This is Don.  Since I did the animation based time driver, I decided to fix
> > any bugs in that.
> >
> >> When I take this time driver guided bundle, and ask for a time-height
> >> probe,
> >> The IDV doesn't realize there are multiple times.
> >>
> >> Perhaps the time driver's time set just isn't being
> >> passed to the T/H display?
> >
> > The problem is that your time driver goes from 2011-10-04 to 2011-10-08,
> > but the MERRA 3-hr assimlation dataset only has data through 2010-12-31.
> > The IDV picks the closest times to the time driver set, which in this case
> > is the last time - hence you only get one time.
> >
> > A future enhancement would be to allow the user to set how far out of range
> > from the time driver set it should go before it says there is no data
> > available.  Usually the datasets are pretty well time synced so it isn't a
> > problem.  Thoughts on that would be appreciated.
> >
> > Don
> >

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: TZB-248628
> > Department: Support IDV