[IDV #TWD-176033]: IDV (registration and use in short course)

> Hi Yuan,
> thanks for the note and comments.
>
> Our course is for several aspects of tropical cyclone development over
> the ocean and
> at landfall. The IDV will be used only 1-2 hours but we are providing
> instructions in
> advance and the hope is to make progress with simple sample datasets.
>
> Are you able to provide ideas or recommendations to have the ATCF
> dataset locally
> without dependance from the NHC server (ftp.nhc.noaa.gov/atcf)?
> Perhaps, this is
> not that simple. Please let me know of there is information somewhere at
> unidata.ucar.edu to try it.
>
> Thanks
> Luis M Farfán.

Luis,
    From the NHC server, you should be able to find a file named atcf.tar.gz,
download this file and move it to your ftp site and unzip and untar this file.
In our site, I will have a ftp link like this:
ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/idv/data/atcf/.
In your IDV, you can copy the ftp link "ftp://...../data/atcf/"; to the URL
entry and specify the data type as "ACTF ...", ... the rest should be the same.

Yuan

> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Unidata IDV Support
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> Dear IDV representative,
> >>
> >> I am planning to offer an IDV-related session as part of a short course
> >> (lasting one
> >> week) for undergraduate and graduate students and the goal is to train
> >> them on several
> >> aspects of tropical cyclone monitoring. Basically, to display (GOES)
> >> satellite imagery,
> >> numerical models, ATCF tracks and forecasts, etc. Most of the input data
> >> (except the
> >> National Hurricane Center's ATCF database) will be locally available on
> >> hard-disk files.
> >>
> >> My plan is to provide a package overview by showing examples and have one
> >> interactive
> >> session with the students during the week of March 18-22 in La Paz, Baja
> >> California. In
> >> advance, they should register in the Unidata's portal and download the
> >> most recent
> >> IDV version. The (25 or so) students are from public universities in
> >> Mexico and from
> >> some countries in South America.
> >>
> >> Please let me know your comments, questions and recommendations.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Luis M Farfán
> >> CICESE, Mexico.
> > Hi Luis,
> >     This is a very interesting plan. Actually, we will also be doing a
> > regional workshop at San Jose state university one week before your
> > workshop.
> >     It will be good to do the satellite imagery on the ADDE server in your
> > workshop if the local network speed is reasonable, since there are many
> > functions can only be done in the ADDE server. But, the ACTF dataset can be
> > done locally, this only needs a ftp server.
> >
> >     Let us know if you need any help from us and we would like to know more
> > story about this workshop, please keep us updated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Yuan
> >
> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: TWD-176033